Skip to content

TWolves get their chances but settle for 0-0 draw with Wesmen in Winnipeg

The UNBC Timberwolves had possession of the ball most of the game. They held the advantage in shots, shots on goal, and corner kicks earned. But, when the referee’s final whistle blew, the TWolves had to settle for a scoreless draw, tying the Winnipeg Wesmen 0-0 on Saturday in Winnipeg.

In the opening minutes, it was the Wesmen with some sustained pressure, as UNBC looked for the ideal pathway to advance the ball up the pitch and into Winnipeg territory. The TWolves would push back, finding possession in the Winnipeg half, but failed to connect on the final pass that would ultimately result in a true scoring look.

In the 25th minute, the TWolves would get back-to-back opportunities to get on the sheet as Camryn Cline and Kjera Hayman each had good looks, but Wesmen goalkeeper Madison Priebe did well to stop both chances and keep it scoreless.

Sidney Elliott showed her speed in the 39th minute, beating a defender and firing a ball looking for the bottom corner behind a diving Priebe. Unfortunately for the Powell River forward, her shot trickled just wide of the post and stayed out.

After 45 minutes, the game remained scoreless, but it was UNBC holding a 9-4 advantage in shots.

The Wesmen earned the first great chance of the second half off a turnover in the 52nd minute. Chloe Zarrillo would locate the ball at the top of the UNBC box and fire one just north of the crossbar as Hinsche lunged for the fast-rising attempt.

UNBC did well to remain calm, moving the ball with intentionality and precision, often led out of the back by first-year defender Maleah Fernie who was particularly strong in distribution.

The Timberwolves continued to control much of the possession, looking for cracks in the Winnipeg backline, repeatedly playing it into high-danger areas, but Priebe and the Wesmen continued to hold the fort. Kate Rattee amd Camryn Cline had moderate chances in the late going, but their shots were blocked or rolled wide of the net.

Eventually, as the teams traded control of momentum, they ran out of time in a scoreless deadlock, ending a hard-fought 0-0 draw.

Frist-year defender Maleah Fernie was named Earls Road Warrior of the Game for her tremendously poised performance in the draw.

The TWolves return home and get set for a tough home weekend against the Alberta Pandas and MacEwen Griffins.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *