Skip to content

Walk around the clock

There are times where things work out in the end, no matter how they looked earlier.

Friday night, I went to bed early, about 9:30 because I was feeling pretty tired. I was feeling tired enough I decided I didn’t even need to take sleeping medication.

That worked out well.

I woke up about 12:15 Saturday morning (so less than three hours later) and the only thing I could think of was that I only had one photo for the Wednesday sports section because all the local teams were out of town. I lay there for a few minutes wondering what I could get for sports pics on Saturday and Sunday when something occurred to me.

I hadn’t worked for a newspaper in a number of years, so why was I suddenly worried about how many photos I had for the sports section?

I pondered that for a few minutes more, then drifted back to sleep – until 3:14 a.m. (I know the precise time because I saw my bedside clock-radio.)

This time, I decided I obviously hadn’t been as tired as I thought I had been earlier, so I was going to go for a walk. I knew it was going to be chilly out, so I got bundled up and set out.

I wasn’t trying to set any world records or anything like that. I just wanted to try and tire myself out a bit, so after a short walk, back to bed.

Where I slept until 5:06 a.m. (I know the precise time because – Oh, yeah, I already explained that.) This time I figured I probably wasn’t going to get much more sleep, so I decided to go out for another little walk.

Get bundled up, reflect on the fact it is now a lot darker at 5:11 a.m. than it was a couple of months ago, go for my walk, and back to the apartment.

I decided to just get on the computer for a while, rather than try to go back to bed. After I had been on the computer until just after 7 a.m., I took a look outside, and noticed it was raining and generally miserable.

At that point, I was actually happy I had woken up when I did, since I was able to get some exercise which I did not feel like getting in the rain.

As I walked to the door to check on the weather, my legs were a bit suspicious about this activity, but when I went back to the computer quickly, they quieted down.

Around 9 a.m., I decided to go out and do some shopping. When I got my outdoor shoes on again, my legs got quite upset, because they figured this meant we were going for another walk.

I explained to them were just going shopping, nothing more than that, and they calmed down.

I have learned one very important lesson as I’ve gotten older: Never argue with your lower extremities, because you won’t have a leg to stand on.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *