- 2100 blocks of Riverside Drive
- 2100 blocks of Main Street
This evacuation alert has been issued to prepare residents to evacuate their homes or businesses should if be found necessary. Residents will be given as much notice as possible prior to evacuation; however they may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHEN AN ALERT IS IN EFFECT
Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for the evacuation order by:
- Locating all family members or co-workers and designate a safe meeting place outside the evacuation area should an evacuation be called while separated.
- Having essential items readily available for quick departure including: medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (e.g. insurance), immediate care needs for dependants, and if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc.).
- Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children.
- Moving pets and livestock to a safe area.
- Arranging to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order. If you need transportation, please call Emergency Management BC at 1-800-663-3456.
- Arranging accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, Reception Centres will be opened if required.
- Monitoring news sources for information on evacuation orders and locations of Reception Centres.
Further information will be issued should the situation change
- Use extreme caution along the Bulkley River and other bodies of water.
- Stay off riverbanks
- Refrain from travelling through areas impacted by flooding.
All residents are asked to keep up-to-date on the current flood information by tuning in to local media or visiting the Town of Smithers website at www.smithers.ca.
Citizens may contact the Town of Smithers at 250-847-1600 if they have any questions or concerns.
Residents living in the Regional District are advised to contact the Regional District of Bulkley Nechako at 1-800-320-3339.