VICTORIA – As of Monday, Dec. 20, 2021, 87.3% (4,352,063) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.6% (4,118,432) have received their second dose.
In addition, 91.7% (4,250,903) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 88.8% (4,118,375) have received their second dose and 16% (727,761) have received a third dose.
Also, 92.1% (3,982,962) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.3% (3,863,965) received their second dose and 17% (726,994) have received a third dose.
Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 2,550 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 228,335 cases in the province:
* Dec. 17-18: 911 new cases
* Dec. 18-19: 832 new cases
* Dec. 19-20: 807 new cases
There are 5,435 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 220,348 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 185 individuals are in hospital and 77 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
* 877 new cases in Fraser Health
* Total active cases: 1,707
* 909 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
* Total active cases: 1,823
* 268 new cases in Interior Health
* Total active cases: 648
* 81 new cases in Northern Health
* Total active cases: 236
* 415 new cases in Island Health
* Total active cases: 1,021
* no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
* Total active cases: zero
In the last 72 hours, three new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,402.
The new deaths include:
* Fraser Health: one
* Northern Health: one
* Island Health: one
Public health is monitoring the increase in cases in British Columbia and developments in other jurisdictions, and will outline additional COVID-19 measures during Tuesday’s regular media briefing.
Note: The update on cases of the Omicron variant of concern will be provided in tomorrow’s COVID-19 pandemic update.
There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. There is one active outbreak in:
* long-term care:
* acute care:
* Lions Gate Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health)
* assisted or independent living:
The outbreak at Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre (Island Health) has been declared over.
From Dec. 10-16, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 39.4% of cases.
From Dec. 3-16, they accounted for 71.4% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Dec. 10-16) – Total 3,721
* Not vaccinated: 1,397 (37.5%)
* Partially vaccinated: 69 (1.9%)
* Fully vaccinated: 2,255 (60.6%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 3-16) – Total 154
* Not vaccinated: 104 (67.5%)
* Partially vaccinated: 6 (3.9%)
* Fully vaccinated: 44 (28.6%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 10-16)
* Not vaccinated: 190.7
* Partially vaccinated: 34.3
* Fully vaccinated: 49.7
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 3-16)
* Not vaccinated: 23.8
* Partially vaccinated: 4.9
* Fully vaccinated: 1.0
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,165,398 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.