Skip to content

Arrests made at blockades on Morice Forest Service Road

RCMP arrested 14 people along the Morice Forest Service Road as police enforced a Supreme Court injunction granted to Coastal Gaslink.

Police say Friday morning began with challenging road conditions due to snow, however the Morice Forest Service Road remained open to industry traffic. Crews continued move supplies and supports to their people in the works camps.

Upon arrival at the two-kilometre mark of the Marten Forest Service Road, police say they discovered additional obstructions, blockades, two building-like structures as well as a wood pile that was on fire directly around a drilling site. After police determined there were individuals within the buildings, officers read the BC Supreme Court injunction and encouraged those inside numerous times to leave or face arrest. The individuals failed to comply and officers broke through the doors, entered the structures and arrests were made without incident. Police can confirm that among those inside the structures were two individuals who later identified themselves as independent journalists. A total of 11 individuals were arrested at this location.

As police were in the process of leaving the Marten Forest Service Road they were advised that a group of individuals were throwing rocks at industry vehicles. Police attended the 44 kilometre mark along the Morice Forest Service Road and four individuals were arrested without incident. One individual who identified as a journalist was not arrested and was escorted out of the area after enforcement ended.

Once again all enforcement actions were documented, including the use of video and body worn cameras for court or complaint purposes.

The area has been cleared of all obstacles at this time and industry has access to assess any damage or impacts. The Access Control Point (ACP) at the 27.5 kilometre mark of the Morice Forest Service Road will remain in place along with an enhanced police presence and roving patrols of the area.

In total 14 individuals were arrest for for breaching the injunction. They were transported to the Houston RCMP Detachment for processing and will be held in custody to appear before the BC Supreme Court.

Individuals arrested on Thursday November 18, 2021 appeared in a Smithers Court Friday. Of the 14 arrested, one was released with no charges and with respect to the remaining 13 – eight were released on conditions and five have been transported to Prince George for their next court appearance on Monday.


What do you think about this story?

Specify a Disqus shortname at Social Comments options page in admin panel