VICTORIA – As of Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2021, 89.3% (4,138,787) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.6% (3,876,579) received their second dose.
In addition, 89.7% (3,881,593) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 84.3% (3,646,128) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 696 new cases of COVID-19, including eight epi-linked cases, for a total of 199,534 cases in the province.
There are 4,888 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 192,189 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 370 individuals are in hospital and 139 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 252 new cases in Fraser Health
* Total active cases: 1,929
* 76 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
* Total active cases: 724
* 118 new cases in Interior Health
* Total active cases: 795
* 191 new cases in Northern Health
* Total active cases: 864
* 59 new cases in Island Health
* Total active cases: 517
* no new cases of a people who reside outside of Canada
* Total active cases: 59
In the past 24 hours, six new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,092.
The new deaths include:
* Fraser Health: five
* Vancouver Coastal Health: one
There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Swedish Assisted Living Residence (Fraser Health), for a total of 24 active outbreaks, including:
* long-term care:
* Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Cherington Place, West Shore Laylum, Queens Park Care Centre, Heritage Village (Fraser Health);
* Amica Lions Gate (Vancouver Coastal Health);
* Cottonwoods Care Centre, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Centre (Interior Health); and
* Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).
* acute care:
* Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health);
* University Hospital of Northern BC, GR Baker Memorial Hospital (Northern Health); and
* Tofino General Hospital (Island Health).
* assisted or independent living:
* Sunset Manor, Evergreen Manor, Menno Terrace West, The Emerald at Elim Village, Swedish Assisted Living Residence (Fraser Health); and
* Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).
From Oct. 12-18, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 67.2% of cases and from Oct. 5-18, they accounted for 74.9% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Oct. 12-18) – Total 4,145
* Not vaccinated: 2,488 (60.0%)
* Partially vaccinated: 296 (7.2%)
* Fully vaccinated: 1,361 (32.8%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Oct. 5-18) – Total 458
* Not vaccinated: 315 (68.8%)
* Partially vaccinated: 28 (6.1%)
* Fully vaccinated: 115 (25.1%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 12-18)
* Not vaccinated: 294.3
* Partially vaccinated: 86.9
* Fully vaccinated: 32.1
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 5-18)
* Not vaccinated: 54.1
* Partially vaccinated: 11.9
* Fully vaccinated: 2.6
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 8,088,314 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
For new regional restrictions in the Northern Health region, visit:
For information on a third dose for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register#immunocompromised
As they become available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online: www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
For surgical renewal commitment progress reports, visit:
To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For information on breakthrough cases, see the BCCDC weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data or: www.bccdc.ca
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register or: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/dose-2
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit:
For guidance on restrictions, visit:
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
* Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
* Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
* Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
* Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures