VICTORIA – As of Friday, Oct. 8, 2021, 88.6% (4,107,666) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.2% (3,811,076) received their second dose.
In addition, 89.1% (3,853,731) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 83% (3,587,996) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 743 new cases of COVID-19, including two epi-linked cases, for a total of 192,491 cases in the province.
There are currently 5,969 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 184,121 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 360 individuals are currently in hospital and 137 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 265 new cases in Fraser Health
* Total active cases: 2,339
* 69 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
* Total active cases: 833
* 143 new cases in Interior Health
* Total active cases: 1,129
* 196 new cases in Northern Health
* Total active cases: 893
* 70 new cases in Island Health
* Total active cases: 717
* No new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
* Total active cases: 58
In the past 24 hours, five new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,001.
The new deaths include:
* Fraser Health: three
* Interior Health: one
* Northern Health: one
There have been two new health-care facility outbreaks at Cherington Place (Fraser Health) and Haven Hill Retirement Centre (Interior Health). The outbreak at Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health) has been declared over, for a total of 17 active outbreaks, including:
* long-term care:
* Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, The Residence in Mission, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre, Cherington Place (Fraser Health);
* Cottonwoods Care Centre, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Centre (Interior Health); and
* Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).
* acute care:
* Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health); and
* University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health).
* assisted or independent living:
* Sunset Manor (Fraser Health); and
* Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).
From Sept. 30 to Oct. 6, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 69.4% of cases and from Sept. 23 to Oct. 6 they accounted for 76.7% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 30 to Oct. 6) – Total 4,667
* Not vaccinated: 2,925 (62.7%)
* Partially vaccinated: 313 (6.7%)
* Fully vaccinated: 1,429 (30.6%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 23 to Oct. 6) – Total 450
* Not vaccinated: 310 (68.9%)
* Partially vaccinated: 35 (7.8%)
* Fully vaccinated: 105 (23.3%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 30 to Oct. 6)
* Not vaccinated: 290.9
* Partially vaccinated: 88.3
* Fully vaccinated: 34.5
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 23 to Oct. 6)
* Not vaccinated: 48.0
* Partially vaccinated: 15.5
* Fully vaccinated: 2.4
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,937,214 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry will be revising the public health order requiring masks be worn in indoor public settings to include children five and older to align with the school mask-wearing requirement. More details on the decision and when the order will take effect will be provided during next week’s COVID-19 briefing.
For information on a third dose for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register#immunocompromised
As they become available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online: www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
For surgical renewal commitment progress reports, visit:
To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For information on breakthrough cases, see the BC Centre for Disease Control’s (BCCDC) weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit:
For guidance on restrictions, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
* Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
* Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
* Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
* Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures