VICTORIA – As of Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2021, 88.3% (4,092,813) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 81.7% (3,789,179) received their second dose.
In addition, 88.8% (3,840,329) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 82.5% (3,568,189) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 593 new cases of COVID-19, including nine epi-linked cases, for a total of 190,372 cases in the province.
There are 5,937 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 182,045 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 345 individuals are in hospital and 144 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 203 new cases in Fraser Health
* Total active cases: 2,300
* 68 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
* Total active cases: 869
* 128 new cases in Interior Health
* Total active cases: 1,151
* 87 new cases in Northern Health
* Total active cases: 836
* 107 new cases in Island Health
* Total active cases: 723
* No new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
* Total active cases: 58
In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,983.
There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at the University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health). The outbreak at Menno Terrace East (Fraser Health) has been declared over, for a total of 19 active outbreaks, including:
* long-term care:
* Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, The Residence in Mission, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor and Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre (Fraser Health);
* Louis Brier Home and Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health);
* Cottonwoods Care Centre, The Hamlets at Westsyde, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander, Village by the Station (Interior Health);
* Wrinch Memorial Hospital, Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health); and
* Victoria Chinatown Care Centre (Island Health).
* acute care:
* University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health); and
* Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health).
* assisted or independent living:
* Sunset Manor (Fraser Health); and
* Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).
People who are moderately to severely immunocompromised will receive a third dose of COVID-19 vaccine. For information on eligibility, as well as how and when to receive a third dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register#immunocompromised
Visitor policy for long-term care and all other health-care settings in B.C. is being updated. Starting Oct. 12, 2021, visitors to long-term care and assisted-living facilities will need to show their vaccine card for proof of full immunization. Starting Oct. 26, 2021, visitors to acute-care settings will also need to show they are fully vaccinated.
From Sept. 27 to Oct. 3, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 70.7% of cases and from Sept. 20-Oct. 3, they accounted for 78.1% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 27-Oct. 3) – Total 4,922
* Not vaccinated: 3,160 (64.2%)
* Partially vaccinated: 320 (6.5%)
* Fully vaccinated: 1,442 (29.3%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 20-Oct. 3) – Total 347
* Not vaccinated: 242 (69.7%)
* Partially vaccinated: 29 (8.4%)
* Fully vaccinated: 76 (21.9%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 27-Oct. 3)
* Not vaccinated: 297.3
* Partially vaccinated: 90.1
* Fully vaccinated: 35.1
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 20 to Oct. 3)
* Not vaccinated: 36.7
* Partially vaccinated: 12.9
* Fully vaccinated: 1.7
Since December 2020, the province has administered 7,894,975 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
As they become available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online: www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
For surgical renewal commitment progress reports, visit:
For the Sept. 28, 2021, modelling presentation, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/9-28_PHO_modelling.pdf
To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
For health measures in the Northern Health region, visit: https://stories.northernhealth.ca/news/new-health-measures-introduced-northern-health-region
For the provincial health officer’s order on masks in public indoor settings, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25217
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For health measures in the Central Okanagan, visit: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/MediaCentre/NewsReleases/Documents/IB_COVID_Outbreak_6%20August.pdf
For information on breakthrough cases, see the BC Centre for Disease Control’s (BCCDC) weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register or https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/dose-2
To learn about BC’s Restart plan, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit:
For guidance on restrictions, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
* Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
* Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
* Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
* Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures