VICTORIA – As of Wednesday, Sept. 29, 2021, 87.9% (4,074,112) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 80.8% (3,745,457) have received their second dose.
In addition, 88.4% (3,823,614) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 81.6% (3,529,426) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 813 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 186,245 cases in the province
Note: The numbers of total and new cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh and will be verified once confirmed.
There are 6,185 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 177,729 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 340 individuals are in hospital and 146 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 303 new cases in Fraser Health
* Total active cases: 2,316
* 102 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
* Total active cases: 911
* 208 new cases in Interior Health
* Total active cases: 1,281
* 118 new cases in Northern Health
* Total active cases: 915
* 82 new cases in Island Health
* Total active cases: 704
* No new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
* Total active cases: 58
In the past 24 hours, 11 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,953.
The new deaths include:
* Fraser Health: two
* Island Health: three
* Northern Health: one
* Vancouver Coastal Health: five
There have been two new outbreaks at Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health) and University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health)
Two outbreaks have been declared over at Hillside Village and Village at Mill Creek – second floor (Interior Health) for a total of 22 active outbreaks, including:
* long-term care: Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, Menno Terrace East, The Residence in Mission, Magnolia Gardens (Fraser Health), Arbutus Care Centre, Louis Brier Home and Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health), Cottonwoods Care Centre, Kamloops Seniors Village, The Hamlets at Westsyde, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander, Village by the Station (Interior Health), Wrinch Memorial Hospital, Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health), and Victoria Chinatown Care Centre (Island Health).
* acute care: University Hospital of Northern BC (Northern Health), Royal Inland Hospital (Interior Health).
* assisted or independent living: Sunset Manor, Hallmark on the Lake (Fraser Health), Hardy View Lodge (Interior Health), Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).
When available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online:
From Sept. 21-27, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 71.9% of cases and from Sept. 14-27 they accounted for 80.8% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 21-27) – Total 5,121
Not vaccinated: 3,324 (64.9%)
Partially vaccinated: 361 (7.0%)
Fully vaccinated: 1,436 (28.0%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 14-27) – Total 438
Not vaccinated: 318 (72.6%)
Partially vaccinated: 36 (8.2%)
Fully vaccinated: 84 (19.2%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 21-27)
Not vaccinated: 300.6
Partially vaccinated: 97.6
Fully vaccinated: 35.6
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 14-27)
Not vaccinated: 46.8
Partially vaccinated: 15.0
Fully vaccinated: 1.9
After factoring for age, people not vaccinated are 24.6 times more likely to be hospitalized than those fully vaccinated.
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,831,229 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
For the Sept. 28, 2021, modelling presentation, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/9-28_PHO_modelling.pdf
To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
For health measures in the Northern Health region, visit: https://stories.northernhealth.ca/news/new-health-measures-introduced-northern-health-region
For the Aug. 31, 2021, modelling presentation, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/8-31_PHO_modelling.pdf
For the provincial health officer’s order on masks in public indoor settings, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25217
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For health measures in the Central Okanagan, visit: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/MediaCentre/NewsReleases/Documents/IB_COVID_Outbreak_6%20August.pdf
For information on breakthrough cases, see the BC Centre for Disease Control’s (BCCDC) weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register or https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/dose-2
To learn about BC’s Restart plan, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
For guidance on restrictions, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
* Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
* Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
* Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
* Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures