VICTORIA – As of Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2021, 87% (4,031,909) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 79.5% (3,685,799) received their second dose.
In addition, 87.5% (3,785,801) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 80.4% (3,476,203) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 525 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 180,178 cases in the province.
Note: The numbers of total and new cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh and will be verified once confirmed.
There are currently 5,282 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 172,624 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 332 individuals are currently in hospital and 155 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
* 187 new cases in Fraser Health
* Total active cases: 1,711
* 51 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
* Total active cases: 822
* 147 new cases in Interior Health
* Total active cases: 1,167
* 79 new cases in Northern Health
* Total active cases: 921
* 61 new cases in Island Health
* Total active cases: 619
* no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
* Total active cases: 42
Note: The number of out of country cases has increased. This is due to a data clean up and reassignment of cases previously reported as Vancouver Coastal Health residents being identified as normally residing outside of Canada.
In the past 24 hours, one new death (Vancouver Coastal Health) has been reported, for a total of 1,900.
There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at Victoria Chinatown Care Centre (Island Health), for a total of 22 active outbreaks, including:
* long-term care: Northcrest Care Centre, Westminster House, Menno Terrace East (Fraser Health), Arbutus Care Centre, Louis Brier Home and Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health), Village at Mill Creek – second floor, Cottonwoods Care Centre, Brookhaven Care Centre, Spring Valley Care Centre, Kamloops Seniors Village, Hillside Village, The Hamlets at Westsyde, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander (Interior Health), Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health) and Victoria Chinatown Care Centre (Island Health)
* acute care: Chilliwack General Hospital (Fraser Health), Fort St. John Hospital (Northern Health) and Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital (Interior Health)
* assisted or independent living: David Lloyd Jones, Sun Pointe Village and Hardy View Lodge (Interior Health)
From Sept. 13-19, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 76.1% of cases and from Sept. 6-19, they accounted for 84.7% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Sept. 13-19) – Total 4,367
* Not vaccinated: 2,982 (68.3%)
* Partially vaccinated: 340 (7.8%)
* Fully vaccinated: 1,045 (23.9%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 6-19) – Total 353
* Not vaccinated: 279 (79%)
* Partially vaccinated: 20 (5.7%)
* Fully vaccinated: 54 (15.3%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 13-19)
* Not vaccinated: 290.3
* Partially vaccinated: 87.2
* Fully vaccinated: 26.3
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 6-19)
* Not vaccinated: 39.8
* Partially vaccinated: 8.2
* Fully vaccinated: 1.2
After factoring for age, people not vaccinated are 33.1 times more likely to be hospitalized than those fully vaccinated.
Since December 2020, the province has administered 7,725,586 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
For health measures in the Northern Health region, visit: https://stories.northernhealth.ca/news/new-health-measures-introduced-northern-health-region
For the Aug. 31, 2021, modelling presentation, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/8-31_PHO_modelling.pdf
For the provincial health officer’s order on masks in public indoor settings, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25217
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care
workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For health measures in the Central Okanagan, visit: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/MediaCentre/NewsReleases/Documents/IB_COVID_Outbreak_6%20August.pdf
For information on breakthrough cases, see the BCCDC weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data or: www.bccdc.ca
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register or https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/dose-2
To learn about BC’s Restart plan, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
For guidance on restrictions, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/ or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
* Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
* Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
* Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
* Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures