VICTORIA – As of Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2021, 82.8% (3,837,946) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 73.8% (3,419,832) received their second dose.
In addition, 83.6% (3,616,043) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 75.1% (3,248,763) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 553 new cases of COVID-19, including one epi-linked case, for a total of 157,567 cases in the province.
There are currently 5,580 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 150,102 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 107 individuals are in hospital and 53 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
* 152 new cases in Fraser Health
* Total active cases: 990
* 97 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
* Total active cases: 811
* 230 new cases in Interior Health
* Total active cases: 3,203
* 36 new cases in Northern Health
* Total active cases: 230
* 38 new cases in Island Health
* Total active cases: 337
* no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
* Total active cases: 9
In the past 24 hours, one new death (Fraser Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 1,782.
There is one new assisted living outbreak at Nicola Meadows (Interior Health), for a total of 11 active outbreaks including the following previously reported outbreaks:
* long-term care: Kin Village West Court, Evergreen Baptist Care Society (Fraser Health), Village at Mill Creek – second floor, Nelson Jubilee Manor, Kootenay Street Village, Cottonwoods Care Centre, Brookhaven Care Centre (Interior Health), and Discovery Harbour (Island Health)
* acute care: none
* assisted or independent living: Hawthorn Park and David Lloyd (Interior Health)
Due to a reporting error, the Village at Mill Creek outbreak was listed as an Assisted Living outbreak on Monday and Tuesday. It has been corrected as a long-term care outbreak.
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,265,222 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For new health measures in the Central Okanagan, visit: https://www.interiorhealth.ca/AboutUs/MediaCentre/NewsReleases/Documents/IB_COVID_Outbreak_6%20August.pdf
For information on breakthrough cases, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/7-27_breakthrough_cases.pdf
Or see the BCCDC weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: www2.gov.bc.ca/getvaccinated.html (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/getvaccinated.html) or https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/dose-2
To learn about BC’s Restart plan, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart
For recent modelling, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/6-28_PHO_presentation.pdf
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
For guidance on restrictions, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
* Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
* Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
* Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
* Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures