VICTORIA – As of Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2021, 82.7% (3,833,978) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 73.5% (3,406,546) received their second dose.
In addition, 83.5% (3,612,654) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 74.9% (3,238,165) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 501 new cases of COVID-19, including nine epi-linked cases, for a total of 157,014 cases in the province.
There are 5,296 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 149,847 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 111 individuals are in hospital and 51 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
The new/active cases include:
* 139 new cases in Fraser Health
* Total active cases: 932
* 92 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
* Total active cases: 758
* 205 new cases in Interior Health
* Total active cases: 3,084
* 35 new cases in Northern Health
* Total active cases: 206
* 28 new cases in Island Health
* Total active cases: 307
* 2 new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
* Total active cases: 9
In the past 24 hours, one new death (Island Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 1,781.
There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. There are 10 active outbreaks:
* long-term care: Kin Village West Court, Evergreen Baptist Care Society (Fraser Health), Nelson Jubilee Manor, Kootenay Street Village, Cottonwoods Care Centre, Brookhaven Care Centre (Interior Health), and Discovery Harbour (Island Health)
* acute care: none
* assisted or independent living: Village at Mill Creek – second floor, Hawthorn Park and David Lloyd (Interior Health)
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 7,248,039 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For new health measures in the Central Okanagan, visit:
People throughout B.C. can find their nearest Vax for BC event online by visiting: www.gov.bc.ca/VaxForBC
For information on breakthrough cases, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/7-27_breakthrough_cases.pdf
Or see the BC Centre for Disease Control’s (BCCDC) weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/getvaccinated.html
To learn about BC’s Restart plan, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restart
For recent modelling, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/files/6-28_PHO_presentation.pdf
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit:
For guidance on restrictions, visit:
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
* Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
* Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
* Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
* Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures