The Family Day Adventure Cruise is promising to be free fun for everyone in Prince George and it runs from from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Created out of a concern for their community, organizers have planned a day that you can do on foot, bus or car that is sure to entertain residents of all ages.
“Mental health and community spirit are at a low and people are exhausted from the length of the lockdown,” said Dave Horton, who is one of the organizers. “The Family Day Adventure Cruise was made with the sole purpose of giving all residents a way to build some great memories while staying safe this Family Day. My major concern right now is that not everyone knows about the cruise or how to safely engage their loved ones this coming holiday.”
No registration is required. Households are encouraged to download and follow the Adventure Card as it leads you on a quest to get as many (or as few) of the 25 activities completed as you can in five hours. The Adventure Card will be released on the Facebook event page just before start time this morning. These objectives will take you all over the city as you capture photos, find Waldo, complete tasks and pick up free giveaway items (cookies, t-shirts, burgers, candy, drinks etc).
To ensure that everyone in Prince George can take part most activities can be completed by using public transit, walking and only a handful can only be done by car.
“Prince George has always offered many free events for the community on Family Day,” said Dayna Penson, another one of the organizers. “Ness Lake Bible Camp would usually see close to 1,000 people come through the property and then you had UNBC and the Exploration Place offering free drop in fun as well. We took all the work that we would usually put into our open house and coordinated with the amazing group of local organizations to give the entire city a fun and safe option this year. We are sad not to have anyone on our site this year but so excited to be able to give families something to do. “
The list of prizes is long and the list of partners running activities is just as impressive. The list of activities is being kept secret but it’s promising to keep you busy as you search for costumed Waldos, drive through and get free food, play drive-through games, take photos with local landmarks and more.
“The list of prizes is unreal, I am blown away at what we are going to be giving away to those who take part i n some or all of the cruise,” said Horton.
To be entered to win some amazing prizes print or download the Adventure Cruise Card, mark the card when you complete challenges on Feb. 15. Take pictures and post them (and a copy of your filled card) to Instagram or Facebook before 10 a.m. on February 16 with the #pgadventurecruise. Winners will be drawn from different categories (completed card, partial card, best photo, random photo draw and more!).
The prize list includes:
- X Box series X (Aaron Switzer – RE/MAX Centre City)
- Nintendo Switch (Pandemic Family Entertainment)
- 1 NLBC campership-$350 (Ness Lake Bible Camp)
- Family Downtown staycation-$500.00 value (Downtown Prince George)
- VR Family Prize Pack ($125) (Game Changerz VR)
- One month family membership. 2 adults, 2 kids up to 18 years. (OVERhang)
- Free Night in our Honeymoon Suite with Breakfast (Best Western Plus)
- $250 GC for any restaurant from MDN Trinity Financial Services Inc.
- 6 Month Family Membership to YMCA of Northern BC ($660) (YMCA)
- 4 folding camp chairs, 4 packable fleece blankets, 4 t-shirts, 4 i nsulated camp mugs, 2 mini lanterns, 1 waterproof Bluetooth speaker, 4 pairs of gloves, 4 toques, 4 pairs of sunglasses, 4 mini travel bags, 4 charging bricks, $250 CNC tuition credit, $100 Boston Pizza GC (College of New Caledonia (CNC))
- Flower gift basket -$150 value (Works of heArt)
- Central Builders’ GC-$200 (Central Builders’ Supply P.G)
- Blissful Bubbles Gift Basket ($50)
- $100 Koops Bikes GC (Koops Bikes)
- $50-Buskers GC (Koops Bikes)
- $100 Triple O’s GC
- $100 Mild Chili Indian Cuisine GC
- $100 Cimo Mediterranean Grill GC
- NLBC swag package-$100 (hoodie, shirt, mug, lanyard etc)
Anyone who decides to take part is reminded to keep physical distancing from other households while completing challenges, drive safely at all times, wear a mask when in public areas and have fund. If anyone in your group/vehicle is sick or experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 please stay home and do not participate in the Family Day Adventure Cruise.