After a temporary closure of over three months, the Tourism Prince George Visitor Information Centre will be re-opening on Wednesday July 1. The opening comes after the development of protective safety measures, with the health of staff and visitors in mind.
On its website, Tourism Prince George has developed a COVID-19 hub page for both locals and visitors to the area. Locals who have friends or family visiting are also encouraged to contact the centre in advance (by phone or email) so that an information package can be put together for easy pick up.
“We are looking forward to welcoming guests on July 1 and onwards,” said Tracey McBride, CEO of Tourism Prince George, in a news release. “While things may look slightly different at the centre this summer with some modifications to the physical space, our staff and summer counsellors will provide the same excellent customer service and guest services as we always have.”
Health and safety measures being implemented at Tourism Prince George include and are not limited to:
- An occupancy limit of four parties or six individuals in the Visitor Information Centre at one time
- Limited gift shop inventory on the floor and in display cases
- Reduced number of pamphlets and guides available for visitors to browse (provided by staff instead)
- Rotating staff hours to accommodate the new occupancy limit
- Plexiglass barriers where physical distancing isn’t possible
- New health and safety signage/decals
While the tourism industry has been one of the hardest-hit sectors during COVID-19, Tourism Prince George is optimistic about the future of local and regional travel, and the summer ahead.
“We recently launched a resident sentiment survey for the community, to gauge our residents’ opinions on visitors,” said McBride. “Based on the results of the survey, we’ll develop some creative and enticing tourism packages to help drive local tourism and stimulate economic activity.”
The Visitor Information Centre will be open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.