A member of the RCMP’s Street Crew Unit with assistance from the detachment’s General Duty Section, pulled the vehicle over in a parking lot on Austin Road in Prince George after it was discovered it had stolen plates on it.
The driver resisted arrest, but was taken into custody shortly thereafter. Once the suspect was placed in handcuffs, police say the found a prohibited, loaded firearm on the floorboard of the driver’s seat.
Jamie Wade Fatum has been charged by the BC Prosecution Service with the following Criminal Code offences:
- Possession of a firearm without being authorized;
- Possession of a ammunition without being authorized;
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle;
- Careless use of a firearm;
- Possession of a firearm without a licence;
- Possession of a firearm while knowingly did not have a licence;
- Possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace;
- Remove a serial number from a firearm;
- Resist arrest;
- Possession of property obtained by crime.
Fatum has been held in custody and is scheduled to appear in court on Friday, June 12.
A female passenger was arrested at the time of the incident, but later released without charge.
If you have any information about firearms related Criminal offences, please contact the Prince George RCMP at (250)561-3300 or anonymously contact Crime Stoppers at 1(800)222-8477 or online at www.pgcrimestoppers.bc.ca (English only). You do not have to reveal your identity to Crime Stoppers. If you provide information that leads to an arrest, seizure of firearms or recovery of stolen property, you could be eligible for a cash reward.