Skip to content

Spruce Kings fall to Chiefs in first game of weekend series Thursday

It was another game where the Spruce Kings played good enough to at least get a point, but that was not the case as PG was edged 3-2 against the Chilliwack Chiefs on a Thursday night at the Rolling Mix Concrete Arena.

In the opening period, it took just 31 seconds into the game for Chilliwack to start the scoring. Kyle Penney spun, turned, and fired the puck past Jett Alexander to give the Chiefs an early lead. Brett Willits was credited with the lone helper on the Penney goal. The Spruce Kings from then on in the first, controlled play having several shots on goal, but goaltender Mathieu Caron was sharp for the Chiefs. The Spruce Kings found themselves on the man advantage and were finally able to get on the board. Mason Waite let a rocket of a one timer go from the right point, just shy of the top of the circle, and wired it glove side past Caron to even things up after the opening twenty-minutes.

In the second, it was the Spruce Kings who had a quick start to the frame. Some great work in front of the goal from both Kolton Cousins and Andrew Seaman, led to the puck finding Carter Cochrane’s stick all alone in the back door and fired it past a reaching Caron to give the Spruce Kings a 2-1 lead. Cousins and Seaman were both credited with the helpers.

It was then at 4:07, when the Chiefs went to the man advantage and were able to convert. Joey Larson had all sorts of time and fired it top corner on Alexander to tie the game up at two. Just over three minutes later, the Chiefs struck again. Nikita Nesterenko took a shot that was blocked and then he got the back and beat Jett Alexander to the goal and tucked it in on a wrap around chance to regain the Chilliwack Chiefs lead. That ended Jett Alexander’s night early as he let in 3 goals on 11 Chilliwack shots. Carter Woodside entered in relief and make two huge saves to keep the game at 3-2. The Chiefs took that 3-2 lead to the dressing room after two periods of play.

In the final frame, Chilliwack held the Spruce Kings to the outside for the most part of the third, making it fairly easy for Caron to see all the shots his way. Prince George’s best chance probably came in the dying seconds of the period off a Mason Waite one timer that went off the glove of Caron and got a piece of the post as the buzzer sounded to give the Chiefs a 3-2 victory and remain solely in 2nd place in the Mainland division. Carter Woodside made all 15 saves on 15 Chilliwack shots. The loss for PG marks their eleventh one goal loss of the season, which is tops in the BCHL.


  1. Nathan Kelly (CWK)
  2. Brett Willits (CWK)
  3. Mason Waite (PG)


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *