Heatwave 2019 will be an engaging and fun-filled festival June 21-23 brought to you by the Immigrant and Multicultural Services Society (IMSS), Lheidli T’enneh First Nation, Le Cercle des Canadiens Français (CCFPG), the Prince George Metis Community Association, and the Prince George Folkfest Society (PGFFS) to celebrate the cultural diversity of our community.
“Anyone who wishes to celebrate their culture is encouraged to do so at Heatwave – Celebrate Cultures, as even one person can set up a great booth, sell food, or participate in the fashion show,” said Ravi Saxena, executive director for IMSS.
Not sure how you or your group can be involved? A few suggestions include:
• Information booth – which could include demonstrations of activities, a map that highlights the geological location of a culture, photos or displays of traditional dress.
• Food demonstration booth – sell bite-sized portions of a traditional food for a low price ($1-$2)
• Restaurant vendor – vendors are encouraged to sell a food taster ($1-$2), as well as dinner-sized portions of food and non-alcoholic beverages.
• Goods and Services Vendor – sell goods (jewelry, art, homemade crafts, etc.), or provide a service such as henna, eyebrow threading, temporary tattoos, face painting, or other goods or services that are family-friendly.
• Performances – Performers are encouraged to dance, sing, make music, or show Prince George other kinds of cultural or traditional talents.
• Fashion Show – Citizens of Prince George and beyond come in traditional clothing and participate in a fashion show to go around the world by going around the Canada Games Plaza on Saturday, June 22. This event is free to participate, and we have unlimited spaces so anyone can come out and celebrate cultural dress!
Application forms and more information can be found at their website: https://imss.ca/about-us-heading/dayofculture/.