A teenage girl, walking alone near Sixth Avenue and Winnipeg Street was sexually assaulted at about 9 p.m. Wednesday, May 1, according to the RCMP.
Police say a man approached the girl from behind and sexually assaulted her by grabbing her. The girl was able to break free and run to a safe location. Investigators believe this to be a random act and have not received reports of any similar incidents.
This investigation is sensitive in nature and significant police resources have been assigned. Police are now seeking the public’s assistance to help identify the suspect. He is described as:
- Caucasian male
- 30 to 40 years old
- Approximately 185 cm (6’1″)
- 91 kg (200 lbs)
- Brown eyes
- Crooked nose like it was previously broken
- Clean shaven
- Wearing a black hoody with the hood up, grey sweat pants and brown work boots
The suspect smelt of tobacco and is therefore believed to be a smoker.
The Prince George RCMP would like to warn the public and offer some safety tips:
- Lighting – Stay in well-lit areas and near businesses that can offer safety in the event of an incident;
- Stay in public areas – travel in areas where people are likely to be or go to businesses that are open and can offer assistance;
- Safety in Numbers – Whenever possible, NEVER travel alone;
- Phone for help – Call a trusted friend or family member if you find yourself alone;
- Call police – If your safety is at risk or you feel threatened, call 9-1-1 immediately.
For more personal safety tips, go to:
If you have any information about this serious Criminal offence or the person responsible, please contact the Prince George RCMP at (250)561-3300 or anonymously contact Crime Stoppers at 1(800)222-8477 or online at www.pgcrimestoppers.bc.ca (English only). You do not have to reveal your identity to Crime Stoppers. If you provide information that leads to an arrest, you could be eligible for a cash reward.