Skip to content

Trade food for compost Sunday

Spring has come and the Regional District of Fraser-Fort George has some good news for those that may want to start getting the garden ready.

Residents are invited to the Foothills Boulevard Regional Landfill this Sunday (May 5) from 8 a.m. to noon with a donation of non-perishable food items for St. Vincent de Paul’s Society. In return the regional district will give you a free truckload of NorGrow Compost.

The compost will be loaded by regional district staff. Pick up trucks and trailers only. Those without trucks or trailers are invited to bring buckets to transport the compost home. The regional district recommends those who are coming to the landfill for the compost giveaway refrain from bringing garbage to drop off during this time, as this will slow the loading process and customers will need to wait in line twice.

NorGrow is the bulk compost available at the Foothills Boulevard Regional Landfill. NorGrow is produced in accordance with the Provincial Organic Matter Recycling Regulation, and is classified as a Class A compost. NorGrow bulk compost is produced from local yard and garden waste which is generated by both residential and commercial customers. Yard and garden waste is made up of grass clippings, leaves, shrubs, and branches. There are no biosolids (residuals from the municipal wastewater treatment plant) in NorGrow.

Composting is a natural process that involves beneficial bacteria, fungi and insects. These organisms transform organic waste material such as leaves, grass clippings and yard trimmings into a dark, nutrient rich soil conditioner.

When used as a soil amendment, compost is a significant source of organic matter. Organic matter is an important supplier of carbon and a dynamic component in plant/soil interactions. It improves soil and plant efficiency by improving the physical properties of the soil, providing a source of energy to beneficial organisms, and enhancing the reservoir of soil nutrients.

What do you think about this story?