The city is adding three properties to its Heritage Register.
The properties to be added are: Howieson Residence (2688 Inlander Street), Hilliard Clare Masonic Hall (480 Vancouver Street), Professional Building (1705 Third Avenue).
The Heritage Register is an official listing of properties with heritage value within the City of Prince George.
Professional Building Courtesy of Trelle Morrow (2018), 1705 Third Avenue.
The office building was constructed by the Schlitt Brothers, John and Joe, who were also the proprietors of sawmill operations in the Prince George area. The building consists of two floors of office space above grade and a basement level, also outfitted for office accommodation.
The site is at the corner of Third Avenue and Prince Rupert Street in downtown Prince George. Building massing has approximately 60 feet frontage and 100 feet depth. Heritage Value The heritage value of the building lies with it being the first office building in Prince George catering exclusively to a professional clientele. The building has maintained this type of tenancy from inauguration to present day.
Design of the building has heritage value in being a notch above the vernacular of the day, as exemplified in the formal entrance. The interior of the building also has heritage value in offering a particularly high-quality regarding finishes in the public areas, much desired for attracting professionals.
High quality floor finishes, such as the terrazzo stair finishes both leading to the lower level and on the exit stairs. Exhibit heritage value resulting from the ideals of construction brought to the project by the Schlitt Brothers initially.
- Identifying main entrance façade.
- Quality finishes at main entrance and front hallway.
- Terrazzo stair finishes to lower level.
- Ambience suits professional occupancies throughout.
The Hilliard Clare Masonic Hall
The Hilliard Clare Masonic Hall, formerly known as the Prince George Masonic Hall, was built in 1955.
It consists of a two-story building with a basement. The main floor provides office rental space which the second floor provides accommodation for Masonic functions. The site location of the building if at the south east corner of Fourth Avenue and Vancouver Street in downtown Prince George.
Heritage Value Heritage Value in the Modern style of architecture is found in the Hilliard Clare Masonic Hall constructed in 1955. The architects were strong proponents of the Modern perspective, as were other firms in the early post WW2 era. The Masonic Hall architectural heritage value is exemplified through functional detailing of building parts, and a sense of repose in a three-dimensional expression.
The exterior stucco finishes are unadorned, window patterns coordinated in the building parts and a strong sense of functional differentiation exists in the building. Heritage value is enhanced through the retention of the original building form as constructed.
Although there has been an addition, to house an elevator, put onto the south end of the original building this, has not interfered with the basic Modern design of 1955. The building form exhibits heritage value straight out of the design tenets resonating in the School of Architecture at UBC in the 1950s.
Functional design has dictated varying exterior wall treatments relative to the differing plans for the main floor and second floor occupancies.
There is significant heritage value in the re-naming of the Prince George Masonic Hall. Hilliard Clare is a local son having served his working life at Northern Hardware in the city, also serving as a city alderman, as well as retaining the position of Worshipful Master of the Masonic Hall. His name is now attached to the building which indicates the esteem in which he is held.
- Continuous window band on the main floor of the Vancouver Street and 4th Avenue elevations. The bands provide a contrasting pattern to the plain surfaces building elevations.
- Uninterrupted office space modules are evident on the main floor of the building, with the entrances located at each end of the building. One on 4th Avenue and on Vancouver Street.
The Howieson house is located in the original South Fort George settlement on the south end of Inlander Street, overlooking the Fraser River. It was built in 1912.
At the time of housing construction in that area, the sternwheeler vessels plying the Fraser would dock close to this location. The house is only one of three or four remaining that can be attributed to pre-WW1 construction in South Fort George. Heritage Value
The heritage vale of the Howieson house is that the home was built by the owner, William Howieson.
Howieson was a cabinet maker and finish carpenter who exercised his talents on numerous commercial and residential projects in South Fort George, and later Prince George. Howieson’s finishing work in his house is identical to that seen in other buildings of heritage value in Prince George. One example being the millwork details in the 1922 Knox United church.
At the beginning of the 20th century there was considerable use of standard patterns of wood trim, now all of heritage value, which have existed through the mid-1900s. And with the use of special molds, into the present day. Heritage Value of the Howieson House is further advanced where a later addition adheres to the original wood detailing. Which is particularly noticeable in the window millwork. Some of the hardware of heritage value, such as door latch sets and window fastenings incorporated at the time of construction, still exist and retain their function.
- Wood framing techniques appear to be standard wood balloon framing techniques of the period, and later times.
- Hop roof framing on the basic house plan, with a gable roof over the entrance porch.
- The house addition, possibly circa 1935, is on the east side and the framing techniques using an extended hip roof appear to be well integrated.
- Howieson used several standard millwork items for the interior finishing such as; wide baseboards, a neck mold between the vertical casing members and the horizontal header, and the door and window trim are finished with a standard millwork cap trim.
The Heritage Register, which was adopted on December 3, 2007, currently contains 10 sites.
These sites are:
- South Fort George School House (755 20th Avenue)
- Sixth Avenue Liquor Store (1188 6th Avenue)
- Federal Government Building (1293 3rd Avenue)
- Nechako Crossing (west of the confluence of Nechako and Fraser River)
- Munro/Moffat House (153 Moffat Street)
- Pitman House (2387 McBride Crescent)
- Taylor House (1872 10th Avenue)
- Dogwood and Elm Street Trees
- Vancouver Street Trees
- Quinson Elementary School (251 South Ogilvie Street)