The October Regional District of Fraser-Fort George meeting marked the last meeting for three members who are retiring.
Terry Burgess (Electoral Area G Crooked River-Parsnip), Jeannette Townsend (Village of Valemount) and Albert Koehler (City of Prince George) were all recognized for their service. Director Burgess was first elected to the Regional District Board in 1997 and served multiple terms for a total of 14 years of service. Director Townsend joined the Board in 1991 and has served for 19 years. Director Koehler was appointed to the Board as a City of Prince George representative in 2014 and has served four years. The Regional District extends its gratitude to these Directors for their many years of service.
Regional District supporting the 2019 World Para Nordic Skiing Championships
The regional district is lending a helping hand for the 2019 World Para Nordic Skiing Championships. The board approved a grant of $50,000 to support the event. The event takes place this coming February 15-24 at the Otway Nordic Centre and will feature over 140 athletes from more than 20 countries competing over the ten days. These athletes, men and women, who are grouped into three classes for competition (sitting, standing, and visually impaired) will compete in four cross country skiing and four biathlon medal events over a period of 10 days. The economic benefit resulting from hosting this event is estimated to be $5.2 million.
- The Board approved the following requests for Community and Recreation Grants:
- $4,030 to the Ness Lake Recreation Commission for operating expenses
- $800 to the Nukko Lake Recreation Commission for Halloween fireworks
- $2,500 to the Nechako Environment and Water Stewardship Society for ecological restoration
- $16,000 to the Willow River Recreation Association for hall completion expenses
- $2500 to the McBride Centennial Elementary School for swimming lessons
- $315 to the McBride Secondary PAC for craft fair hall rental