For those considering running as a school trustee for School District No. 57 (Prince George), nomination packages will be available starting July 27 on the Regional District Fraser-Fort George website and at the RDFFG main office located at 155 George Street, Prince George.
School District No. 57 (Prince George) now has three trustee electoral areas as follows:
• Prince George Trustee Electoral Area – five trustees to be elected
• Mackenzie Trustee Electoral Area – one trustee to be elected
• Robson Valley Trustee Electoral Area – one trustee to be elected
The nomination period for candidates begins at 9 a.m. on September 4 and closes at 4 p.m. on September 14.
Residents of B.C. interested in running for school trustee office in the upcoming general local election must meet certain eligibility requirements to be nominated. They must also run and finance their campaign according to provincial legislation.
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
• Canadian citizen;
• 18 years of age or older;
• resident of British Columbia for at least six months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed; and
• not disqualified by the School Act or any other enactment from voting in an election in British Columbia or from being nominated for, being elected to, or holding office.
General voting day for the local general election is on Saturday, October 20, 2018. An Advance voting opportunity will be on October 10, 2018. Additional advance and special voting opportunities may be announced and voting locations will be confirmed closer to the date.
Local government elections in British Columbia currently happen every four years. This includes elections for school trustees, regional district electoral area directors and municipal mayors and councilors. .
For more information:
• School District No. 57 website: http://www.sd57.bc.ca
• Provincial Government website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/local-governments/governance-powers/general-local-elections