A wildfire 30 kilometres northwest of Vanderhoof has prompted the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako has issued an evacuation alert for an area.
Because of the potential danger to life and health the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako has issued an Alert in the following geographic area:
East of Dog Creek Forest Service Road (FSR) to Geernaert Road, South of the Barlow Forest Service Road (FSR) to the Nechako River, Westwood Road and Braeside Road.
Heavy equipment and firefighters are working to build road access to this fire as there is no current access. The fire is fairly active and there may be smoke in the surrounding communities.
The BC Wildfire Service says the fire is now 25 per cent guarded.
An evacuation alert has been issued to prepare residents to evacuate their premises or property should it be found necessary. Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to evacuation; however, they may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
If residents require assistance in regard to livestock please contact the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako (RDBN) at 1-800-320-3339 or 250-692-3195.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHILE THIS ALERT IS IN EFFECT
- Locating all family members or co-workers and plan to meet outside the evacuation area, should an evacuation be called while separated.
- Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependants and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc.). Have these items readily available for quick departure.
- Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children.
- Arranging to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order. If you need transportation assistance from the area please call (250) 692-3195 or 1-800-320-3339.
- Arranging accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, a Reception Centre will be opened if required. Monitor your local radio station and the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako website, www.rdbn.bc.ca, and the Bulkley-Nechako Emergency Information Facebook Page for information on this Evacuation Alert.