Police are warning the public after a recent string of motorcycle thefts in the area.
Since June 1, the Prince George RCMP have noticed an unusual trend in the Prince George area. In this short period of time, 12 motorcycles of various types have been targeted by thieves. Only five others were reported stolen between January 1 and May 31. The motorbikes range in style from mopeds to street bikes, but are mostly of the dirt bike variety.
Here is a list of bikes still outstanding:
|Year||Colour||Make||Model||Style||File Number||Date Reported|
|1989||Black||Yamaha||Riva||Moped||2017-17778||June 7, 2017|
|ATTEMPTED||2017-18077||June 9, 2017|
|2008||Orange||KTM||SX-F 250||Dirt bike||2017-18124||June 9, 2017|
|2014||Blue||Yamaha||TW 200||Dual sport||2017-18467||June 12, 2017|
|2016||Red||Honda||110cc||Dirt bike||2017-19012||June 16, 2017|
|2008||Green||Kawasaki||KLR 650||Enduro||2017-19273||June 18, 2017|
|2003||Yellow||Suzuki||DR 400||Dirt bike||2017-19285||June 18, 2017|
|RECOVERED||2017-19607||June 20, 2017|
|RECOVERED||2017-20537||June 27, 2017|
|2009||Red||Kymcu||Vital||Moped||2017-20544||June 27, 2017|
|RECOVERED||2017-20983||June 30, 2017|
|RECOVERED||2017-21525||July 3, 2017|
|RECOVERED||2017-21780||July 5, 2017|
The Prince George RCMP are strongly urging motorcycle owners to take precautions to help ensure you are not victimized by a motorcycle thief. In addition, police would like to request that everyone be observant and report suspicious activity to police.
Tips for motorcycle owners:
- Store out of sight of thieves.Out of sight is out of mind;
- Keep it locked even inside a storage locker, shed or a garage;
- Record serial number, make, model, colour and any special identifying parts/marks. Keep the record safe at home or in a safety deposit box with other serial numbers of valuables;
- Use theft protection devices when leaving the motorcycle in a public place. Use high quality locks of case-hardened steel, as poor quality locks can be cut in seconds. It is important to secure it to an immovable object;
- Report promptly any theft of bicycle to local police.