Prince George is one of five communities in British Columbia that will host a Balancing Our Minds youth summit in 2017.
The youth summit is a free, day long event for high school aged youth to learn about mental health, engage in fun activities and participate in thoughtful dialogue. It will be held May 24 at the Civic Centre and goes from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
In Prince George, the youth summit is called Northern Balancing Our Minds (NBOM) and it will be the first to addresses the culture, lifestyle and interests of youth living in northern British Columbia. NBOM will entertain, delight and encourage young people to make mental wellness a priority – both for themselves and for others.
- Increase youth knowledge about mental health and substance use
- Build awareness of available mental health tools, resources and services
- Decrease stigma towards individuals experiencing mental health challenges
- Generate ideas on how to promote mental health and wellness in your school community
Who should attend?
- High school aged youth in northern B.C. interested in learning about mental health and wellness, decreasing stigma and creating a community culture that supports youth mental health
- School or community based adult allies that have an interest in supporting youth at and after the event
Support Plan for Attendees
NBOM participants will hear stories about people having mental health problems and surviving them. Difficult topics and conversations will arise and some young people who attend may be emotionally triggered from the content. At NBOM, there will be a wellness room available for those who need it, as well as professional counsellors from PGNFC’s Healing Centre to talk to.
Those interested in attending can register here.
What do you think about this story?