A male youth has been arrested following an online threat directed towards students at College Heights Secondary School Sunday.
Police were made aware of the threat shortly after 5 p.m. Sunday. Officers quickly identified the youth believed responsible for the threat and arrested him without incident. Police have no reason to believe that this was a credible threat and that students or staff are at risk. The RCMP have taken this threat very seriously and have been engaged throughout the night. The investigation is continuing.
Police remind all parents to play a role in their child’s social media activity and to report suspicious activity. Any threats made must be taken seriously.
Tips for parents:
- Check social media accounts and contact lists to see who your child is chatting with;
- Ensure that your child knows how to block unwanted contacts;
- Teach children how to be responsible with web cams. Keep webcams unplugged when not in use;
- Create an environment where your child feels safe and they can talk about secrets;
- Look for changes in behaviour and ask questions.
If you have any information about this serious incident, please contact the Prince George RCMP at (250)561-3300 or anonymously contact Crime Stoppers at 1(800)222-8477 or online at www.pgcrimestoppers.bc.ca (English only). You do not have to reveal your identity to Crime Stoppers. If you provide information that leads to an arrest, you could be eligible for a cash reward.