Provincial budget keeps Prince George projects going


Finance Minister Carole James talks budget to about 40 people in Prince George Saturday. Bill Phillips photo
Finance Minister Carole James talks budget to about 40 people in Prince George Saturday. Bill Phillips photo

BY BILL PHILLIPS

bill@pgdailynews.ca

Last week’s provincial budget didn’t pass Prince George by.

Finance Minister Carole James told a crowd of about 40 people in Prince George Saturday that funding programs in place before the NDP took office last summer will stay … and that includes the $44.3 million replacement of Kelly Road Secondary School in the Hart. School District 57 will pick up $1 million of that estimated cost.

“We’re continuing to invest in Prince George,” James said. “We’ve always said a good idea is a good idea, no matter whose good idea it is. Specifically, everything from engineering tech and trade opportunities at the University of Northern B.C. and the College of New Caledonia.”

She said the budget allows for new engineering seats and $400,000 for the civil engineering program, which was announced before the budget. There will be money to CNC for a civil engineering technology program.

The province will continue to support the heavy mechanical trades training facility at CNC and will continue to support wood products through the UNBC Centre for Research for large scale wood construction.

“In partnership with the school district we’re replacing Kelly Road Secondary, we continuing to move ahead with that project,” she said.

Upgrades at the University Hospital of Northern BC will continue, she said, as will continued upgrades to Highway 97.

The province will also provide some help for communities hit hard by the Cariboo wildfires last summer.

“We’re providing support for communities impacted by wildfire,” she said. “We know we need to support those communities and there will be resources going in, not only for rebuilding, but most importantly for the kind of prevention work that needs to occur.”