Fire has completely destroyed the Windy Point Inn on Highway 97, about five kilometres south of the Highway 39 Junction near McLeod Lake.
Mackenzie Fire/Rescue was called to the blaze shortly before 8 a.m. this morning. The building was fully engulfed in flames when fire crews arrived. The fire was outside the Mackenzie Fire Protection area, however, due to the fact the flames were threatening gas pumps and a large propane tank, the Mackenzie fire crews attended with one truck, the chief, and seven firefighters.
A water shuttle was provided by private companies and a hydrant was used from the McLeod Lake Indian Band.
It’s unknown at this time whether there were any injuries.
Cause of fire and estimate of dollar loss is also unknown at this time.
Highway 97 was closed for approximately two hours but has re-opened.
The structure has collapsed in on itself and will continue to smoulder away, even after the fire department has left the scene.